Trans in the South: A Guide to Resources and Services

New data from the Williams Institute shows that more than 300,000 trans folks call the South home. Too often, they face a lack of resources and support. We often hear stories of people going without medical care or traveling hours to reach a doctor who will treat them with respect. That’s got to change. 

To respond to that need, the Campaign for Southern Equality is releasing Trans in the South: A Guide to Resources and Services.

In the pages of this edition of Trans in the South you’ll find lists of trans-friendly service providers – from doctors to attorneys to counselors – across the South as well as resources to assist with funding medical transition. This information has been collected and vetted by Ivy Gibson-Hill, our LGBT Rights Toolkit Coordinator. We hope this resource guide helps people access the services they need to survive and to thrive.

You can download a PDF of Trans in the South: A Guide to Resources by clicking here.


Laws in your state

Laws regarding adoption, nondiscrimination protections, hate crimes reporting and much more vary from state to state. For information about the policies that affect LGBT people in your state, please see these resources from national LGBT organizations:

Human Rights Campaign’s state law maps

Lambda Legal’s state law map

For more information about state-issued documents in all 50 states, see the National Center for Transgender Equality’s ID Documents Center.

Power of Attorney

Protect your rights with estate planning tools like health care power of attorney forms. Estate planning makes clear your wishes for treatment during emergencies, at the end of your life, and beyond. For LGBT people and their families, estate planning is a tool that can be used to secure basic rights that many take for granted. If you haven’t completed these important documents, it’s important to do so as soon as possible, at any age, whether you are single or partnered.

These documents will help you protect your rights and wishes:

  • Health Care Power of Attorney
  • Durable Power of Attorney
  • Will
  • Hospitable Visitation Form

Learn more about these tools in Life Lines, a publication of the National Center for Lesbian Rights.

Arkansas Name Change Guidelines


AR-MAP-BLUEThis document is intended for informational use only, and is in no way intended to constitute legal advice or the opinions of the Campaign for Southern Equality. Because the law is constantly changing, the Campaign for Southern Equality cannot guarantee that this information is accurate and up-to-date.  Procedures and estimated costs may vary by county.  If you have any questions, please consult a licensed attorney.

The Arkansas law about name changes can be found here: § 9-2-101

What You Need:

Additional instructions can be found here.

Total Estimated Costs: $150.00


  • Fill out the petition and get it notarized.
  • File the petition with county clerk’s office in your county where you live and pay the  $140.00 fee.
  • Bring with you a cover sheet when you file your petition. A cover sheet can be found and downloaded here or can be obtained from your local clerk of court.
  • The court may schedule a hearing and if so, you must appear in court on that date.
  • If the judge grants your name change, they will issue your court order or they may require that you bring a court order and they will fill it out.

*Additional documents may be required: Driver’s license or picture ID, birth certificate or current passport, copies of current bills showing current address.

Don’t Forget: Once your name change has been approved, you will need to update this with several government agencies. This includes changing your name with the Social Security Administration and the Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration. You will need to change your name with Social Security Administration prior to changing it with the DFA. You will need to bring the copy of your name change order along with $10.00 for a corrected license.


Arkansas will change both name and sex, and will mark the birth certificate “amended” with the new information. The request for the court order must include medical documentation (letter from SRS surgeon).

Arkansas Department of Health
Division of Vital Records
4815 West Markham Street
Slot 44
Little Rock AR 72205
(501) 661-2174

Report violence, discrimination, and harassment against LGBTQ people

LGBT Crowdmap

Trans in the South Resource Guide

In the pages of this edition of Trans in the South you’ll find lists of trans-friendly service providers – from doctors to attorneys to counselors – across the South as well as resources to assist with funding medical transition.

You can download a PDF of Trans in the South: A Guide to Resources by clicking here.

From the CSE Blog:

No items.