Arkansas Name Change Guidelines
This document is intended for informational use only, and is in no way intended to constitute legal advice or the opinions of the Campaign for Southern Equality. Because the law is constantly changing, the Campaign for Southern Equality cannot guarantee that this information is accurate and up-to-date. Procedures and estimated costs may vary by county. If you have any questions, please consult a licensed attorney.
The Arkansas law about name changes can be found here: § 9-2-101
What You Need:
- Name Change Petition
- Cover Sheet (varies by county, see your local county clerk for the appropriate cover sheet or to verify that this cover sheet is appropriate)
- Social Security Form
Additional instructions can be found here.
Total Estimated Costs: $150.00
- Fill out the petition and get it notarized.
- File the petition with county clerk’s office in your county where you live and pay the $140.00 fee.
- Bring with you a cover sheet when you file your petition. A cover sheet can be found and downloaded here or can be obtained from your local clerk of court.
- The court may schedule a hearing and if so, you must appear in court on that date.
- If the judge grants your name change, they will issue your court order or they may require that you bring a court order and they will fill it out.
*Additional documents may be required: Driver’s license or picture ID, birth certificate or current passport, copies of current bills showing current address.
Don’t Forget: Once your name change has been approved, you will need to update this with several government agencies. This includes changing your name with the Social Security Administration and the Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration. You will need to change your name with Social Security Administration prior to changing it with the DFA. You will need to bring the copy of your name change order along with $10.00 for a corrected license.
Arkansas will change both name and sex, and will mark the birth certificate “amended” with the new information. The request for the court order must include medical documentation (letter from SRS surgeon).
Arkansas Department of Health
Division of Vital Records
4815 West Markham Street
Little Rock AR 72205
4 years ago / No Comments