Florida Name Change Guidelines

BY IN Florida On November 1, 2014


LGBT FLORIDA STATE MAPThis document is intended for informational use only, and is in no way intended to constitute legal advice or the opinions of the Campaign for Southern Equality. Because the law is constantly changing, the Campaign for Southern Equality cannot guarantee that this information is accurate and up-to-date.  Procedures and estimated costs may vary by county.  If you have any questions, please consult a licensed attorney.

The Florida law about name changes can be found here: Florida Statute 68.07

What You Need:

Additional instructions can be found here.

Total Estimated Costs: $230.00


  • Submit your fingerprints for a state and national criminal history records check. See your local clerk of court to find out the process for having your fingerprints taken and submitted, you must use an authorized service provider.
  • Fill out the petition and get it notarized.
  • File the petition with a cover sheet (different counties require different cover sheets, find out which your county uses) at county clerk’s office with $205.00.
  • The clerk will set a court date. To find out more about the procedure in your county ask the clerk about that process.
  • If your name change is granted the judge will issue a court order for your name change. You can get additional copies of the order for a small fee.

*Additional documents may be required: Driver’s license or picture ID, birth certificate or current passport, copies of current bills showing current address.

Don’t Forget: Once your name change has been approved, you will need to update this with several government agencies. This includes changing your name with the Social Security Administration and the Florida Department of Motor Vehicles. You will need to change your name with Social Security Administration prior to changing it with the DMV. You will need to bring the copy of your name change order along with $25.00 for a corrected license.


Florida WILL change the name and sex on a birth certificate. Information as of 2008 indicates that the old name remains “on the bottom of the new birth certificate”. To process a request for birth certificate amendment as a result of gender reassignment surgery:

You must present the court order entered when you changed your name (using the process above), OR if the name change order is from another state, you must provide evidence that the other state has a name change procedure similar to Florida’s.

Your existing birth record must be changed to reflect your name change before you can request to change your gender.

Once the name change is recorded, you must file a notarized affidavit, DH 430, Affidavit of Amendment to Certificate of Live Birth.

You must also submit medical records indicating that you have completed sexual reassignment in accordance with appropriate medical procedures and that you are now considered to be of (male/female) gender) for all medical purposes . The medical records must be signed by the physician who performed the reassignment surgery. The physician must include his/her medical license number, and you will be required to pay a fee.

Office of Vital Statistics
Department of Health and Rehabilitative Services
P.O. Box 210
Jacksonville, FL 32231-0042
(904) 359-6900 ext. 9005.


4 years ago / No Comments






Leave a comment