Trans in the South: A Guide to Resources and Services

New data from the Williams Institute shows that more than 300,000 trans folks call the South home. Too often, they face a lack of resources and support. We often hear stories of people going without medical care or traveling hours to reach a doctor who will treat them with respect. That’s got to change. 

To respond to that need, the Campaign for Southern Equality is releasing Trans in the South: A Guide to Resources and Services.

In the pages of this edition of Trans in the South you’ll find lists of trans-friendly service providers – from doctors to attorneys to counselors – across the South as well as resources to assist with funding medical transition. This information has been collected and vetted by Ivy Gibson-Hill, our LGBT Rights Toolkit Coordinator. We hope this resource guide helps people access the services they need to survive and to thrive.

You can download a PDF of Trans in the South: A Guide to Resources by clicking here.


Laws in your state

Laws regarding adoption, nondiscrimination protections, hate crimes reporting and much more vary from state to state. For information about the policies that affect LGBT people in your state, please see these resources from national LGBT organizations:

Human Rights Campaign’s state law maps

Lambda Legal’s state law map

For more information about state-issued documents in all 50 states, see the National Center for Transgender Equality’s ID Documents Center.

Power of Attorney

Protect your rights with estate planning tools like health care power of attorney forms. Estate planning makes clear your wishes for treatment during emergencies, at the end of your life, and beyond. For LGBT people and their families, estate planning is a tool that can be used to secure basic rights that many take for granted. If you haven’t completed these important documents, it’s important to do so as soon as possible, at any age, whether you are single or partnered.

These documents will help you protect your rights and wishes:

  • Health Care Power of Attorney
  • Durable Power of Attorney
  • Will
  • Hospitable Visitation Form

Learn more about these tools in Life Lines, a publication of the National Center for Lesbian Rights.

Georgia Advanced Directive for Healthcare

Download these Advanced Directives forms if you live in the state of Georgia.

Georgia Name Change Guidelines


LGBT Rights - Georgia MapThis document is intended for informational use only, and is in no way intended to constitute legal advice or the opinions of the Campaign for Southern Equality. Because the law is constantly changing, the Campaign for Southern Equality cannot guarantee that this information is accurate and up-to-date.  Procedures may vary by county.  If you have any questions, please consult a licensed attorney.

Georgia law about name changes: O.C.G.A. § 19-12-1

What You Need:

  • Name Change Petition
  • Final Decree
  • Notice of Petition
  • Verification of Adult Name Change
  • Social Security Form (Forms vary by county, see your local clerk of court or court web site for the appropriate form)

Estimated Total Costs: $300.00


  • Obtain General Civil Case Filing Information and Final Disposition Forms from your county clerk’s office.
  • Fill out Petition, Verification, Notice, and Case Filing forms and sign in front of a notary. Make copies of all forms.
  • File forms at Superior Court Clerk’s Office. Filing fees may be different in different counties. Contact your county clerk’s office to find out filing fees and ask about a court fee waiver if you cannot afford the fees.
  • Within seven days of filing the petition you will need to submit a notice of publication in the local newspaper using the notice of petition form. This publication needs to run once a week for four weeks.
  • 30 days after filing the petition, bring proof to the court that you have published the notice as required. If no objection is raised, the judge will set a date to decide your petition and will render final judgment or decree. Take this decree to the clerk’s office and ask for a certified copy.

*Additional documents may be required: Driver’s license or picture ID, birth certificate or current passport, copies of current bills showing current address.

Don’t Forget: Once your name change has been approved, you will need to update this with several government agencies. This includes changing your name with the Social Security Administration and the Georgia Department of Driver Services. You will need to change your name with Social Security Administration prior to changing it with the DDS. You will need to bring the copy of your name change order along with $20.00 for a corrected license.


Georgia will change both name and sex, and will issue a new birth certificate rather than amend the old one.

Contact Information:

Vital Records Service
State Dept. of Human Resources
47 Trinity Avenue SW, Room 217-H
Atlanta, GA 30334
(404) 656-4750

Mr. Michael R. Lavoie
Director, Vital Records Unit

Please contact the Legal Section of the Vital Records office (404-656-4901) and ask for instructions for correcting a vital record.

Report violence, discrimination, and harassment against LGBTQ people

LGBT Crowdmap

Trans in the South Resource Guide

In the pages of this edition of Trans in the South you’ll find lists of trans-friendly service providers – from doctors to attorneys to counselors – across the South as well as resources to assist with funding medical transition.

You can download a PDF of Trans in the South: A Guide to Resources by clicking here.

From the CSE Blog:

No items.