Kentucky Name Change Guidelines

BY IN Kentucky On November 1, 2014


LGBT KENTUCKY MAPThis document is intended for informational use only, and is in no way intended to constitute legal advice or the opinions of the Campaign for Southern Equality. Because the law is constantly changing, the Campaign for Southern Equality cannot guarantee that this information is accurate and up-to-date.  Procedures may vary by county.  If you have any questions, please consult a licensed attorney.

Kentucky law about name changes: Kentucky Statute 401.010

What You Need:

Total Estimated Costs: $40.00


  • Fill out the petition and get it notarized.
  • File your petition with $28.00 at your circuit court in the county where you live.
  • The clerk will give you a case number for a court hearing and you will be notified whether you must appear in court.
  • You will either receive a court order for name change in the mail or you will be required to appear in court and receive it at the end of the hearing.
  • You can pay $3.00 each for additional copies of court order.

*Additional documents may be required:  Driver’s license or picture ID, birth certificate or current passport, copies of current bills showing current address.

Don’t Forget: Once your name change has been approved, you will need to update this with several government agencies. This includes changing your name with the Social Security Administration and the Kentucky Department of Motor Vehicles. You must change your name with the DMV within 10 days, but you will need to change your name with Social Security Administration prior to changing it with the DMV. You will need to bring the copy of your name change order along with $12.00 for a corrected license.


Kentucky will change both name and sex, and will issue a new birth certificate rather than amend the old one. You will need an original letter from your SRS surgeon, and an original or certified copy of the court order for your name change. Please note that current interpretation (2005) of Kentucky law requires a notarized letter from your SRS surgeon, which can be difficult if your surgery was performed in the past or in another country.

Office of Vital Statistics
275 East Main Street 1E-A
Frankfort, KY 40621
(502) 564-4212



4 years ago / No Comments






Leave a comment