Pop Up Clinics
The Campaign for Southern Equality offers an ongoing series of free Pop Up Clinics to equip LGBTQ Southerners with resources and tools to protect their rights and to lead healthy, thriving lives. Led by volunteer attorneys and transgender advocates, these clinics respond to immediate legal, health, emotional, spiritual and economic needs.
Summer 2017 Schedule of Trans Resource Clinics
At these clinics, the Campaign for Southern Equality will offer a variety of trans resources including name change clinics, resources to help fund your transition, journals by trans folks for trans folks, peer to peer support, and more.
- August 19 – South Carolina Black Pride in Columbia, SC.
- September 16 – North Carolina Trans Pride in Charlotte, NC.
- September 30 – Blue Ridge Pride in Asheville, NC.
- October 4 – Protect Yourself Clinic in Asheville, NC.
- October 21 – Southern Fried Queer Pride in Durham, NC.
- November 4th – UpState Pride in Spartanburg, SC.
Spring 2017 Schedule
- May 24: CSE Protect Yourself Clinic – Nashville, TN
- May 25: CSE Protect Yourself Clinic – Memphis, TN
- June 2: CSE Protect Yourself Clinic- Selma, AL
- June 4: CSE Protect Yourself Clinic hosted with We Are Family – Charleston, SC
- June 10: CSE Protect Yourself Clinic – Huntsville, AL
- June 10: CSE Protect Yourself Clinic hosted with Pride WS and North Star Community Center- Winston Salem, NC
- June 23: CSE LGBTQ Legal Clinic/Clinica Legal LGBTQ hosted with Estrella Sanchez- Atlanta, GA
TYPES OF POP UP CLINICS:
Protect Yourself Clinics: LGBTQ Southerners face real risks of physical attack, intimidation and threats. Since the start of 2017, nine transgender women of color have been murdered in our country, four of whom lived in the South. Trans youth in the South regularly report bullying and threats in schools. In this climate, we are kicking off a new series of free “Protect Yourself” clinics across the South. Led by and for transgender folks, the clinics feature a self defense class, training in using pepper spray and safety apps, and HIV testing and counseling. Each participant also receives a free can of pepper spray and a flashlight. Plus, we offer a free meal. This spring, we’ll be running “Protect Yourself” clinics, across NC, SC, GA, TN and AL.
LGBTQ Legal Clinics and Community Law Workshops: Since launching in 2011, CSE’s Legal Team has offered free legal clinics and Community Law Workshops (CLW) which empower LGBTQ people in the South to protect our rights to the fullest extent possible under current laws and which equip local attorneys to advocate for their LGBTQ clients. CLWs focus on topics such as name changes, family law, health care power of attorney, immigration law and employment rights.
Direct Services Pop Up Clinics: At these clinics, community members can access an array of free health, wellness and educational services focused on the needs of LGBT Southerners, such as HIV testing, consults with attorneys and chaplains, trans health resources, and financial literacy coaching.
Trans Employment Clinics: Join us for a free day of learning, training, resources and support focused on transgender employment issues.: At these clinics, trans folks can access training, support and resources to help them gain and sustain employment.
Trans Resource Clinics: At these Clinics we offer a variety of trans resources including name change clinics, resources to help fund your transition, journals by trans folks for trans folks, peer to peer support, and more.
Questions: Email or call Ivy Hill – ivy[at]southernequality.org at 828.242.1559.