Report Violence & Discrimination

Please call 911 if you are experiencing an emergency.

If you experience violence or discrimination because of your actual or perceived sexual orientation or gender identity, we want you to know you’re not alone. This page includes resources on reporting incidents, legal referrals, support services and hotlines. CSE is available to help you navigate these steps; you can reach us at 828.242.1559 or or by filling out this contact form.

Reporting an Incident:

Online Reporting:

CSE maintains an online map to document incidents of anti-LGBT violence and discrimination. This is a tool for our community to report incidents and better document the reality of the LGBT experience in our country. Anyone can submit a report by going to the LGBT Human Rights Crowdmap.

Local Law Enforcement: If you feel safe doing so, it is important to file a report with your local police department. If anti-LGBT language was used during the attack or anything about the attack suggested it was motivated by your actual or perceived sexual orientation or gender identity, be sure to mention this. Whether or not your state has a hate crimes law that covers sexual orientation and gender identity, local law enforcement should track and report all crimes motivated by bias. You may need to be very proactive to ensure that this is documented in the police report. Different police departments will have different policies and levels of sensitivity regarding reporting anti-LGBT violence. Filing a local report can also be an important step in accessing services that are available to victims of violent crimes.


District Attorney’s Office:  Contact your local District Attorney’s Office and ask to speak to the Victim Witness Coordinator. This is a service available to the victims of violent crimes and can assist with issues such as compensation for medical care related to injuries.

Federal Authorities: You can also report the incident to federal authorities (the FBI and the Office of the US Attorney). They will document what occurred and determine whether it can be investigated as a hate crime under federal law.  Even if it can’t be investigated, making such a report helps the FBI collect more accurate data about violence against LGBT people, which they track nationally. The FBI also offers Victim Services.

FBI Offices:

Office of the United States Attorney

  • Contact the US Attorneys Offices in your state through this link.

Support Services:

District Attorney Office Resources: Local District Attorneys’ Offices should have a Victim Witness Coordinator on staff who can assist you with victim services (e.g. you’ll want to save all receipts from medical care related to the incident, as you may be eligible for restitution).

LGBT-Friendly Support Services:

Across the South: CSE offers short-term, free support services, provided by volunteer attorneys, counselors and clergy. We also offer support in the reporting process to both local and federal authorities. For those needing longer-term support, we provide referrals to LGBT-sensitive resources on the local, state or national level. Contact us at:

In Western NC: Western NC Citizens to End Institutional Bigotry also offers confidential support to those who experience hate crimes and discrimination in Western NC, with decades of experience in this field. To contact them:

Report violence, discrimination, and harassment against LGBTQ people

LGBT Crowdmap

Trans in the South Resource Guide

In the pages of this edition of Trans in the South you’ll find lists of trans-friendly service providers – from doctors to attorneys to counselors – across the South as well as resources to assist with funding medical transition.

You can download a PDF of Trans in the South: A Guide to Resources by clicking here.

From the CSE Blog:

No items.