Tennessee Name & Gender Change Guidelines

BY IN Tennessee On November 1, 2014


Tennessee Map of LGBT RightsThis document is intended for informational use only, and is in no way intended to constitute legal advice or the opinions of the Campaign for Southern Equality. Because the law is constantly changing, the Campaign for Southern Equality cannot guarantee that this information is accurate and up-to-date.  Procedures may vary by county.  If you have any questions, please consult a licensed attorney.

Tennessee law about name changes: Tennessee Code Annotated § 29-8-101 through 29-8-105

What You Need:

  • Name Change Petition (forms vary by county, check with your local chancery court)
  • Social Security Form

Total Estimated Costs: $216.00


  • Fill out a name change petition and get it notarized.
  • Certain chancery courts may require different forms, so it is best to contact your local court to find out specific requirements. You can find a listing of courts here.
  • File the petition with $200.00 at your local chancery court.
  • You will be assigned a court date by the clerk. Appear in court and request your name change.
  • If the court grants your request, you will receive a court order for your name change.

*Additional documents may be required:  Driver’s license or picture ID, birth certificate or current passport, copies of current bills showing current address.

Don’t Forget: Once your name change has been approved, you will need to update this with several government agencies. This includes changing your name with the Social Security Administration and the Tennessee Department of Driver Services. You will need to change your name with Social Security Administration prior to changing it with the DDS. You will need to bring the copy of your name change order along with $16.00 for a corrected license.


Tennessee will NOT change the sex designation on the birth certificate. Tennessee will issue an amended birth certificate with the old name visibly struck over and the new name typed above it. You will need an original or certified copy of the court order for your name change.


4 years ago / No Comments






Leave a comment